Friday 24 August 2012

The sewing box

I finally got a sewing machine for Christmas last year (a very cute John Lewis mini in red) and so far it has served me very well considering it's size and the amount of work it's had to do lately. So naturally along with a new machine came the need for a new sewing box. Search as I might I could not find one that I liked, was big enough to suit my needs yet cheap enough for me not to have to live off lentils for the next few months. What to do!

As so often happens, ebay came to the rescue and provided me with a blank, good quality wooden box that I could make my own in my own way. Cue my slightly drawn out asking-for-a-favour-tone of 'Saaam?' when i asked if I could borrow his knackered old soldering iron. Of course, being wonderful, he agreed straight away and I got to work on my first pyrography project.

And here is the end project. For a first attempt I'm very pleased with it (though I can't seem to get a decent photograph of it. Hmm, blurry anyone?)








I now have a proper pyro iron which is much faster and more versatile to use with inter-changeable nibs but I do still use Sam's occasionally as it gives such deep, thick, dark lines.
Happy crafting all. x

No comments:

Post a Comment